Monday, 17 August 2009

Let's Not Call The Whole Thing Off!

It was almost a year ago when I submitted a 'guest article', about the rare value of those individual characters who aren't afraid to raise their heads above the parapet, to a blog based in the U.S . The original work was published in Viewpoint, a paper for comment, funded by the University of Southampton and normally, that's where it would have stayed. But when I happened upon the Slow Leadership blog it seemed appropriate for the the piece to have a home on the other side of the Atlantic too.

The editor, Adrian Savage, welcomed my contribution but advised that it might need to be tailored for a non-UK audience. I thought, over to you then Adrian and lo, he produced a really nice version without hacking it beyond recognition.

Last weekend, I had the privilege of having Square Sunshine promoted stateside by Susan Adcox at About.Com

Apparently blogging grandfathers are a bit thin on the ground. Strange when you think how many of us there must be around the world and even stranger when you consider how much there is to write about from a grandfather's perspective.

Susan ended her most welcome post with, “He lives in rural Hampshire, England, so don't let his use of "nappies" for diapers confuse you!”

Now I am reminded of George Bernard Shaw's claim that, "England and America are two countries divided by a common language." You say diapers, I say nappies – you say vacation, I say holiday, but when it comes down to how we feel about our grandchildren I know we're all singing from the same songsheet.

© 2009, copyright Martin T. Hodges

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.