Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Remembering RIDGES, C.F., Driver, R.A.S.C

In 1912, Nellie and Charles took their vows. One year after the birth of their first daughter, Nellie and Charles said goodbye.


He volunteered in August 1914 and was immediately drafted to France, where he served on various sectors of the Front. He was present during heavy fighting on the Somme, when he sustained severe wounds, which necessitated the amputation of his right arm. He was invalided out in April 1917, and holds the 1914 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
(National Roll Of The Great War)

As a small child, my mother-in-law, would cast her gaze back at the ghostly figure, gently waving to her from an upstairs window as she walked to Sunday School.

His mind and body damaged, Charles found employment in a brewery. There, he laboured, giving good service until, on 1st July 1926, death finally reached him from the fields of France and swept him away.

Nellie and Charles said goodbye.

© 2009, copyright Martin T. Hodges

5 comments:

  1. That's so sad. When I did my English degree (in my late 30s) I did my dissertation on 1st World War poetry. Fascinating, as tragedy often is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wars wreak havoc on families. Such a sad and poignant post. Lovely photo. It looks as if two separate images were put together for the portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad -- there are so many victims of war beyond those killed on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very poignant little tale, Martin.

    I have just caught up with your last blogs; you have seen much more of Berlin than I have, I have never been to the East.

    Your photographs are beautiful, you are very good on your seascapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fran

    I studied for a BA (Hons) in Humanities in my late thirties. War, peace and social change in Europe provided some of the most moving material I have ever read. I agree, tragic, yet fascinating.

    Willow

    Yes, the two photographs were joined for the portrait. What remains poignant for me, is that my late mother-in-law's abiding memory of her father was as I described in the post.

    Vicki

    That's so true. My step-father saw action for five years in WW2, in Italy and North Africa. The horrors of that are still with him in his 90th year.

    Friko

    I'm so glad I made that trip all those years ago. Although I didn't appreciate the significance much then, in later life the experience has shaped my perspective on the history of Europe.

    Thank you for your kind words. I love to photograph along the coast, especially the Cornish coast.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.