Monday, 7 December 2009

Pink Stinks?

I was listening to an item on the radio this morning, about the 'pinkstinks' campaign. The pinkstinks website sums up the agenda neatly with this  statement, “PinkStinks is a campaign and social enterprise that challenges the culture of pink which invades every aspect of girls' lives.”

I feel bound to say I have some sympathy, and I speak from our experiences with Speckly-Woo! She is a beautiful, bright, blonde three year old, and while her favourite colour is pink, an affinity for all things fluffy is conspicuous by its absence. She chose a wooden train set for her birthday present, and is in her element reconstructing episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine. She clings to my hands, scales my frame and demonstrates amazing powers of balance as she waves wildly from the summit of my shoulders.

She loves to paint and glue and make extraordinary meals from play-doh. Her best friend is Mary, a rag doll with striped legs and mad hair, who gets into any number of scrapes...and out again, courtesy of the Speckly-Woo! rescue service.

Speckly-Woo! is a happy little girl, finding her way in the world. She knows what she likes and we applaud her mum and dad for respecting her development without steering her into stereotypical territory.

She is happy with princesses and the like, but very selective. Her current favourites are Princess Fiona from Shrek and the hilarious Little Princess (see clip below).




© 2009, copyright Martin T. Hodges

8 comments:

  1. Speckly-Woo sounds like my kinda girl. I was always fascinated things other than dolls and pink things. You could find me at the house across the street, where four boys lived, because their toys were ever-so-much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not come across the Pink Stinks campaign but now you have brought it to my attention I will sign up straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, Speckly Woo! Tomboys always have more fun than princesses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willow

    She's my kinda girl too. Quite a character with a strong streak of independence and frightening logic. Let's hope it doesn't get educated out of her when she starts school.

    Alan

    It was new to me until today. I think it's probably a valuable campaign, if only to remind us that our children are all born as individuals and it's healthier for them if they stay that way.

    Vicki

    I was commandeered to play with the train set again today. Just another wonderful perk associated with being a grandad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been mulling over the Everything Pink and Princess marketing campaigns over here in the states. Come read what I've had to say and also check out some interesting comments! Be sure to register your own opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan

    I've been over to see what you've written, and to read the comments. Wow, quite a reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link, Martin. This topic seems to solicit quite the gamut of reactions, doesn't it?! For me, it's quite simple. In your own words "respect her development without steering her into stereotypical territory". It's about the individual, not the gender. It's interesting to note that while most parents don't mind their daughters being tomboys and playing with trains, the opposite is true for sons playing with dolls and playing tea party. I think that's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nana Jo - Yes, that's strange, isn't it? And it's quite probable that parents who would object strongly to having their offspring 'pigeon-holed' later in life, actually balk at the thought of a little lad playing with dolls. I honestly think that, despite our so-called liberal approach, these days, there are still underlying concerns around sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.