Sunday, 3 October 2010

Delights

Days become shorter, the air takes on a chill and the clinging damp of Autumn rises up from the fallen leaves and lingers in the hedgerows. The wind sprints past, without apology, like a late errand boy with a message for the receding Summer.


These are the days of afternoon walks, lit with a weakening sun. A time for home comforts. Warm familiarity as you cross the threshold. Soft lamps and the light rasp of drawn curtains. Maybe, toast for tea, or one of my favourites, a baked apple with sultanas, brown sugar and cinnamon oozing and bubbling from the hollowed core.

Before tuning-in to the chaos of the wider world, you might pull a book from the shelf. A best-loved title from childhood? You open at the first page, read a few lines, the fragrance of evening still filling your senses.*


In no time at all, you're drawn in, the story developing around you. For me, this might mean that I'd drifted into the company of Kay Harker.

Spangled puddles rest, undisturbed, in the quiet of the night. Not a ripple, after footpaths have shrugged off the last lonely footsteps.

Upon waking, the season hangs around the houses, in paralysed veils.

* Our Speckly Woo is not quite four. During a recent overnight stay with us, I introduced her to the BBC version of 'The Box of Delights'. She's a year younger than her mother was, when she was mesmerised back in 1984. Speckly Woo let her taste buds influence her reactions to the story. There came a stream of questions relating to "the box of angel delights", most of which centred on "King Horlicks", rather than Cole Hawlins. Magical!

16 comments:

  1. A beautiful and sumptuous delight this was to read, Martin. You have a way of transporting with your words... to other places... and to the past. Just lovely!

    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely description of some of the very great pleasures of a foggy autumn day! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful thank you. I spent Autumn in London in 2008 and you describe it so amazingly. I couldn't believe how dark and cold it was compared to my autumn in NZ. The idea of walks and home comforts.. perfect. Speckly Woo and her mother before her, are so lucky to have you in their world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely moments, beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Martin - absolutely lovely. And I could taste that baked apple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, Martin! You and I are on the same wave length today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a beautiful capture of the fog. I does make you seek inside moments of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful capture of autumn, I remember working in London at this time and the days shortening so I would get home in dull light and chilled air. It was wonderful to go inside and draw the curtains across and turn on a lamp, and sit down with a favourite drink and book. How wonderful to have children to gather up and read to, share a magical book and time together. 'As Kay was coming home for the Christmas holidays...." I think I would love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is freaky, Martin. I had nothing to do earlier, and I wrote a post about a favourite story from my childhood. Looks like we were on the same page. lol Weird eh?

    Have a great Monday.

    Paul :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't some of the simplest pleasures in life the very best. This was a delight to read Martin, thank you. The wonderment of a good book, accompanied by a child's inquisitive nature & loving grandfather to share the story with sounds like a wonderful way to spend a foggy afternoon. How very blessed little speckly woo is! I would love to have known my grandfather & shared moments with him like this. It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your words match your picture : moody and atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tried to post a comment yesterday and it wouldn't work. Seems OK again today. But I can't remember the wise words I was going to say! I do like that misty photo though Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am basking in your golden autumn as I savour my own. The life in your words flows forth glowing and warm.

    One of my favourite (and comforting) things to do is re-read beloved childhood books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very, very lovely, Martin. Those are the days I like best, tea and a toasted tea cake and a pile of poetry books waiting after an afternoon walk.

    Bliss!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.