Friday, 18 March 2011

Sepia Saturday: Let the Good Times Roll

In yesterday's post, I mentioned a very noisy party that was in progress as I was writing. It rattled on until the wee hours and, although the music got turned down before midnight, the hubbub and revelry prevented us from drifting off into the Land of Nod, as we usually do. One thing about living in a rural setting is that raised noise levels carry over long distances, particularly at night.

Mags, in party mood

So, we talked about, and remembered how, we use to celebrate being young. In our land of spinning vinyl, strange Vermouth cocktails and continental beer fuelled easy conversations about the world we thought we owned. The chances of eyes meeting across a crowded room were greatly reduced by the heavy fug. Quality air competed hard with Gauloises, Sobranie and obligatory hand-rolled creations.

When it was party time, we were the sole inhabitants of our moment. Living became compressed to the width of a generation. It wasn't that we didn't respect or consider others living in close proximity, it was more a case that they had disappeared from our consciousness, faded away behind the beat of our drum.

Some say that with maturity, comes experience and wisdom. They forget to tell you about invisibility.

At some point, before we eventually dropped off, I think we agreed that we are getting a taste of the 'generation gap'. By that, I'm not referring to an occupied point on the 'know it all' side of the chasm. It's more a recognition of the terms and conditions of growing older, and a deep-seated awareness of how crucial it is to party when you're young.

19 comments:

  1. I think we used to try to be considerate, but youthful high spirits probably meant we weren't. Good that you can be fairly laid back about the noise. Here we get trains and emergency vehicle sirens - you get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! Crucial indeed it is to party... and I don't forget it... though I'm no longer that young. Nevertheless, "young" is a state of mind and partying is forever! Or so I say...

    A lovely post, Martin!

    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  3. being young is being active and inventive.
    of curse, maturity changes the way one thinks.

    party is an inviting word for youngster...
    lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It was more a case that they had disappeared from our consciousness"...oh yes, I agree. I have a son in college and you described him and his friends perfectly! :)

    Lovely, lovely picture there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wisdom indeed Martin (and a photograph that has the power to transport me through time with greater efficiency than a Tardis). Give me the mind of a 62 year old and the body of a 26 year old and I think I just might be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nevine beat me to my comment. Go out and make some noise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post and comments. I never thought about it before, but some parties seem to create an environment that is separate from the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were wandering home from the pub last night at about 8.30 and watching everyone else walking the other way, on their way OUT. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your post also shows a generosity and compassion that often (though not always) comes with age!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I've got older I seem to hear the slightest sound at night although my wife says I must be deaf as I never answer her.
    Music tonight would get me out to look at the perigee moon. Not on a car bonnet though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mags was considerate enough to take her shoes off before getting on the bonnet (Midget or MGB?). I cringe when I think of the racket that must have come out of my flat in the 1980's.... Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I really enjoyed your post ... it brought back many memories. In high school, my girlfriends and I went to a kegger out in the woods on Saturday night. The cops came, and we hid out underneath a big tree with low lying branches and the police pretended not to see us. Thank goodness!

    I really appreciate how you remember and explain things in your writing. Happy SS, and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes. From days gone by when hearing a party from the distance I would have wanted to know what was going on. Now I just look at the clock and think, "They'd better knock it off by 10!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! The truth in every word and a wonderful explanation of how I felt during that same time but could not put words to. You've nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, get your partying in when you're young. It's so much less fun when you're old...but a whole lot quieter!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully said! And you're right about the invisibility. I think that to some degree youth will always consider their elders to be somewhat irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an accurate perspective of youth and age all rolled into one post. There's more to say, of course, but what you said was so very true. Mags looks like she's enjoying herself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh what a wonderful photo. I am not sure if I would like to show photos of myself in my party days! I have some memorable ones taken when I lived and worked in London.
    Yes,party when you are young, I certainly have great memories and stories - hopefully these will give more more tolerance now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember the days but I had more worries like Vietnam being broke with little future.

    ReplyDelete