Saturday, 14 May 2011

Licenced to Peel...and Race Cars

Some of the most joyous moments in a young lad's life, occur when he finds himself in receipt of a gift he's lost sleep over. Usually its something iconic. In my case, a football with the names of the 1966 World Cup winners scrawled across the surface. Never mind that it was mass produced, the fact that your mates had one too, only served to reinforce the 'band of brothers' bond. Bear in mind that we were still some distance from owning a bike with drop handlebars and Derailleur gears. That's another story, entirely.

Equal to the joy of receiving a desired gift, is the moment when a man in his middle years (depending how optimistic you are) rediscovers a long lost toy from his childhood.


Today, I felt a moment of joy, and it had nothing to do with the pint of Wadworths 6X I had with my pub lunch. My step-sister had discovered a concealed and deadly weapon, in an old, lockable, piece of furniture that once housed my stash of contraband. When breaking up a wormy bureau that was beyond saving, my old 'Spudmatic' sprang from a recess. It was kind of her to save it for me. Many sisters would have dumped it, as retribution for the frenzied fire of potato pellets she found herself subjected to, in the dim and distant past.


But joy of joys, she also rescued these four ladies, tiny, fragile cars from a transporter that was once hitched up to a diesel engine in my train-set. I think they are (from left to right) Peugeot, ? Citroen, and Saab. If anyone can identify the second model, I'd be grateful. They are now garaged on the base of my monitor. Oh joy!

22 comments:

  1. What lovely rescued treasure. I wish I had more souvenirs from my own childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Spudmatics! I used to have a Derringer that you made individual bullets with caps and potato bits... the memories. All my mates were going out with girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cars! Old toys can indeed be little time machines that take us back to simpler times. Just resting one's eyes on them can be calming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what wonderful things to find. I often have flashes of memories of toys. I get a sense of having once owned something that is long since gone. A real joy you have these again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that such a gun existed, but I can imagine you joyfully shooting potato pellets at your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spud guns and Dinky Toys! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martin, dear Martin, no wonder your offspring once removed take such joy in you. You have preserved the boyish spirit in its purest form.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure I remember those guns, Martin. I think ours had a red plastic cap, to stop you taking someone's eye out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brother had a spud gun, and access to too many spuds :-) I'm pleased that your cars are now safely garaged after many years of storage :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah the joy of re-discovering something you thought was lost. The stuff of poetry. I used to know a poemn on this theme but I can’t quite recall it. If I do I’ll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those spud guns must have hurt. potatoes are pretty hard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to be reunited with your toys. That Spudmatic looks serious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful discovery! And have you put the spud gun into action yet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh joy indeed! those cars are so cool and probably worth much (because of their age and your memory besides being rare)....discoveries are such fun aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh a spudmatic - I had one of those. As for my collection of Dinky toys - my mother sold them to some collector after I had left home - I was quite upset at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You expressed the joy of rediscovery beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd never heard of spud guns, but my partner looked over my shoulder, read your post and started reminiscing about his spud guns!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder what happened to my car collection. Hang on to yours - they will be worth a bob or two.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember all the little metal cars my 3 younger brother had-but no potato gun comes to mind! Fun read-glad you have your treasures back!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spud guns were the business! I don't know about the second car, but I think the fourth is a Renault.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm impressed by the number of you who remember spud guns. I'm not sure that retailers would be allowed to stock them, now.

    Vicki - Alas, the rubber diaphragm is perished. Otherwise, I'd be giving a try, for old times sake.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a delightful surprise to find your childhood toys! They are precious, especially the cars! And I love how you wrote about them. I'm glad you are putting them somewhere where you will see them often. It's good (mostly) to remember our childhoods.

    ReplyDelete