Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Clear as Mud

One of the great obstacles to true aesthetic pleasure can be the label, or worse, the explanation. I'm sure we've all encountered at least one work of art that could have held its own perfectly well without any kind of commentary.



It's one of the curses of adulthood, that we feel obliged to explain our every action, and come up with answers designed to impress, rather than inform. Living in the age of the constant rehearsal, we often settle for losing the 'moment' rather than face the humiliation of failing to communicate a concept correctly.

'Get it right, first time, and leave no room for ambiguity', a rule that young children rarely have difficulty following.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps the Royal Family are a little 'childish' too: never apologise, never explain.

    Speckly Woo's wonky people need neither.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know what the green triangle is, but I'll keep it to myself. Love the happy people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I see childrens' art I think of Picasso's quote "I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them."

    This is a beautiful piece above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Archibald MacLeish said of a poem -- It should not mean but be.

    ReplyDelete