Friday, 13 January 2012

Sepia Saturday: Head lines

I'm following on neatly from matters concerning what grows on the the head, to what goes on the head. Your choice of headgear speaks volumes, you know. And, that which caresses the cranium may also prove to be an indicator as to what's going on inside. For instance, we have Sherlock Holmes and his deerstalker, and the dear ladies of Ascot and their magnificent millinery. Then there was my maternal grandmother, who sometimes donned a battered sun-hat when sitting in her makeshift conservatory but, more often than not, settled for The Sun to protect herself from...well, the sun.


It would seem that our daughter was influenced by her great grandmother from a very early age. I was tempted to insert a speech bubble for Mags, but I think she was probably lost for words.

Read more Sepia Saturday stories, here.

24 comments:

  1. Maybe she wasn't that interested in football ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad she learned to be sun-safe so early in life. I presume it was you who took this shot, and aren’t you glad you did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ranks among my favourites, Little Nell.

      Delete
  3. What a cutey pie :) I have a whole assortment of daggy hats (never go out without a hat - you can get fried in five minutes down here) so I hate to think what that says about me - haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone. I've been know to sport a knotted handkerchief on rare occasions.

      Delete
  4. I've recently moved on to a Crocodile Dundee hat which makes me wise and fearless as I stalk the Norfolk waste(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose there's little point in asking if you know the way to Cockfosters?

      Delete
  5. How funny! (I can't think of a better use for the Sun, myself - no disrespect intended.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a hundred different uses for the Sun, Christine, none of which involved reading it.

      Delete
  6. In Summer,of course, a hat can prevent sunburn.......the sun can give a red-top.......... !

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one use for the Sun that I would never have thought of. Now a knotted handkerchief I can understand. Great to see the toddler improvising too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, you have put that scene at Ascot, in "My Fair Lady" in my head now. "Come on Dover ...!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, really! (awkward moment ensues).

      Delete
  9. Ah, but how much hair has granny? Is she afraid of burning her bald pate? Or was that you, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a good head of fine white, Friko. As for me, in those days, I had BIG hair.

      Delete
  10. I'm sure there are lots of uses for The Sun. This one may be better than some others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't compete with all these responses. Ah, those were the Times when you could look in the Mirror and Express yourself by your choice of headgear. You're a Star Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This means so much more, coming from the Guardian of Sepia Saturday.

      Delete
  12. What fun to be able to look back on the girl in the hat!

    ReplyDelete