Saturday, 11 February 2012

Bravo!

Given the temperatures we're experiencing, it was fitting that The Russian State Ballet and Orchestra of Siberia performed The Nutcracker for us this afternoon, under the artistic direction of Sergei Bobrov.


With SW in mind, we had booked a box. Just a little more room for a five year old to fidget in, with minimum disturbance to others. In the event, she was transfixed, along with the rest of us.

I don't pretend to know much about ballet, but I do understand colour and movement, particularly when it springs from a rich musical palette. I can't remember the last time when my emotions took a surprise turn, bumping and tilting across the spectrum, calling in for smiles, raised spirits and a lump in the throat for good measure.

When the house lights went up, my eyes turned to the 'gods', or upper circle. It seemed bizarre to think, that in the 70s, we regularly claimed that part of the theatre for less than a fiver.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you all enjoyed it. I wonder how much 'the gods' costs now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful - I am very jealous - a great experience for SW too :). When I was a teenager my best friend's mother worked at the theatre and we got free tickets to every show for a year - it was the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, that's the kind of best friend to have!

      Delete
  3. How did Speckly Woo like it? I saw The Nutcracker when I was her age and begged for ballet lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SW loved it, and I think I'm hooked. She's been attending ballet lessons for over a year, now, and has recently been trying tap. I won't be following her example.

      Delete
  4. What an experience! The Nutcracker is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely wonderful. The English National are performing it in November, so it could be on the cards again.

      Delete