Monday, 19 March 2012

Unfixed Expression

Ever since I included 'A Little Pabloesque' in my sidebar, I've been keeping an eye on Ginny's artistic development. Ginny is SW's younger sister - one of identical twins - and she's leaning towards expressionism. At least it looks that way, if her latest creation is anything to go by. The truth is, today has been more challenging than usual. Ginny's world didn't quite spin the way she would have liked and, consequently, she had 'stuff' to get off her chest, with the help of Crayola pens. After which, we needed an effective cleaner to get the Crayola off of the artist.


Artwork by Ginny

And talking of creation, I'm still trying to get my head around a story I heard told to pupils during a school church service. The vicar made the point that before God had a hand in things, the world was just a ball of mud. Actually it still is, around here, after a wet winter, but that's beside the point. And, I'm not having a dig at religion when I say, I just don't see how such an assertion can be reconciled with celebrating 'Science Week' back in the classroom.

Now I'm thinking, maybe I shouldn't have written this. I should have simply reached for the crayons. I just know I'd have felt better for it.

9 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think a good scribble is just what I need too! My world definitely not spinning quite as I'd like... I'm not sure mine would end up looking as artistic as Ginny's effort though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful artistic representation of chaos theory and existential angst ;). The way people are veering away from science in areas of medicine, climate, evolution etc., is very concerning - this is becoming the age of unreason (though people have always been fairly illogical thoughout history).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Jackson Pollock Ginny! Give the vicar some Crayola pens I say. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should always have some crayolas on hand for those "moments"! Great expressionism in the art! I can feel her frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that made up for a small disappointment I had today. I'm in Madrid for my 'special' birthday and we went off to the Reina Sofia Museum to see the newly spruced up 'Weeping Woman' by Picasso. When we got there it was closed on some whim or other. Never mind I prefer Ginny's crayola offering any day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seem to recall seeing some of Ginny's work when I went to the Tate North in Liverpool last week. I suppose a ball of mud is the same as a ball of clay, from which humankind can fashion wonderful objects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a great outlet - should try it myself! As for the ball of mud, I am much happier when clergy stay on the level of *stories* we have made to explain things. Not that I think a belief in God and a belief in science are mutually exclusive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never mind, Martin, the kids will learn and see the vicar for what he is: deluded.

    Have a go with those crayons, but don't come looking for me when it's time to get you cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the language and mythology of the bible -- but I didn't have trouble, even as a child, accepting the scientific facts.

    I love Ginny's art!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.