Monday, 23 April 2012

Sketch and Simulation

I recently came across a charming little sketch, by my grandfather, drawn to illustrate an article written by my grandmother, published in the Hampshire magazine, in February, 1977. It's certainly not one of his best efforts, as later works testify, after he had found his medium in oils.


The scene is Fisher's Pond, birthplace of my grandmother. In fact she first saw the light of day in the pictured cottage, at the water's edge. The old place was demolished a few years ago, to make way for a swanky 'new build'.

Now, I don't know if I can draw or paint, as I've never really put much effort into finding out. However, I do enjoy trying my hand at photography, and I love playing around with various apps on my phone camera. Put the two together, and what do you get?



Well, two sketches of a very synthetic nature.

  


12 comments:

  1. I think grandfather would have been impressed. You are enjoying your phone aren’t you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so. Regarding the phone, it's proving to be fun.

      Delete
  2. They both turned out wonderful. I like the colors. Your grandfather's sketch was good at depicting the info that one needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fisher's Pond! I remember passing it as a child on the bus to Winchester. As far as I remember the road actually passed beside the pond - could this be right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very same. I was born in Upham, but both my grandmother and mother entered the world at Fisher's Pond. My 2 x great grandmother had a smallholding there. It's her cottage depicted in the sketch.

      Delete
  4. That's a great photo effect! Not a bad place to be born either :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how were these images created? I like how they look...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your images show artistry! (I mean, if David Hockney can use an i-Pad...?)

    You are lucky to have such long-reaching attachments to one place. That's not something that's been the case for me or my family, really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those two 'snaps' are rather wonderful...such a shame the cottage is no longer there though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Synthetic - well, in a way, but sympathetic to the subject too. It's nice to have a connection to a village... maybe I'll think about putting up some photos of my dad's childhood village in Nottinghamshire sometime. I took a whole series there a year or so ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think those last two are completely frameworthy!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.