Monday, 25 June 2012

Getting the Quoon to Pur tee

You won't be surprised to know that any association I may have had with Her Majesty, has been pretty remote. I've handled acknowledgements of landmark wedding anniversaries, celebrated by my grandparents. I believe I stood, on a grey day in the late 50s, and waved a small flag as she cruised through, joining the dots where patient subjects lived, to reveal no discernible picture.

Artwork by SW

I also had a strange experience, finding myself unable to turn right at a junction in Southampton due to the position of the royal car. For a few seconds, I had eye contact with the monarch. No doubt she recalls her own version of events when attempting to lift the mood in the company of overly-deferential diplomats. "Did I ever tell you about the time when I was stuck in the traffic in Southampton? No? Well, you won't believe it, but for a few moments, I had eye contact with Martin Hodges. Philip and I could hardly catch our breath…we were laughing so much."

Invitation from SW
Anyway, unlike our intrepid SW, I didn't follow up the completion of a flattering portrait, with an outright invitation to visit and 'get down' with the kids. SWs spelling is coming on in leaps and bounds, so I'm guessing that 'pru tee' is lining itself up for the urban dictionary as a term for having a 'knees up'.

*For WallLmac, read welcome.

15 comments:

  1. How can she resist that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be great, if she just turned up at the school?

      Delete
  2. Your experience of seeing the Queen is simiar to mine, only without the Southampton traffic jam. A gold star for SW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell her about the gold star. She'll like that.

      Delete
  3. haha - I'm sure the queen was not laughing but rather overwhelmed in your presence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you come to mention it...

      Delete
  4. I'm sure it's a memory she will treasure...clearly SW's association with Royalty is closer than yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do all I can to avoid using the word, 'princess', but yes.

      Delete
  5. As a matter of some urgency, can you please get Speckly Woo to elucidate whether it's a Pur Tee or a Pru Tee? I would hate for HMQ to turn up to the wrong event. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mea culpa, Tim. Just a mention of the Queen, and I get all excited. I won't tell SW if you don't.

      Delete
  6. And when she comes to tee, will SW be serving cokes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fantastic! I hope the Queen will realise what an honour it is to receive SW's invite. And I agree with Gabrielle, she was surely just dumbstruck in your presence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HM has told that story about seeing you so many times that the family throws buns at her whenever she begins, " One actually made eye contact with Martin Hodges that day..."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how the Queen could resist such a charming and heartfelt invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it seems to me you did a lot better than Mrs Dalloway in London, the day she saw The Car and a Personage, the blind came down and she could only say .. it was probably the Queen!

    ReplyDelete