Friday, 29 June 2012

Sepia Saturday: New balls, please!

Young Martin recognised that a new net, 
and considerable work by the ground-staff would be necessary if he was to progress to the finals.

I’m not so hot at predicting winners but, ahead of this year’s Wimbledon, I had a strong feeling that Andy Murray might, at last, experience an easier passage to the later stages of our hallowed, Grand Slam event in 2012. Perhaps the Diamond Jubilee/Olympic year had some bearing on my apparent foresight. After all, Virginia Wade pulled off an English victory in 1977, when the Queen had to settle for silver.

And guess what? Up pops Lukas Rosol (ranked 100 in the world), like a man possessed, to send Rafa Nadal packing before the spaniard could properly, obsessively, settle his drinks bottles.

On the same evening that a confident German football team succumbed to the bubble bursting Balotelli, the strange unpredictability of sport also played out under the retractable roof of Centre Court.

I wonder if, in all the hullabaloo, many heard Rafa say, "I'm very, very disappointed, but it's not a tragedy, it's only a tennis match." And if so, has the penny dropped yet?

16 comments:

  1. We ued to play ‘shuttlecock’ over the fence with our friends next door too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to play in the road and move aside when a car came along. Or a horse and cart....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Rosol match was amazing. Was he in the zone, or what?
    I'm really hoping that Murray can do it this year. England needs
    A win.
    Btw - I saw Fred Perry at a tournament in Los Angeles back in the 60s. He was
    Just watching, not playing. Quite a guy.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny! Yes, that court would need to be cleaned up a bit. Thanks for the sports reporting and update; I haven't been watching but sure did enjoy your interpretation.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home made courts were always more fun when I was young; children couldn't join the local tennis club! Rosol's performance was one of those unique sporting occasions rather like the time a Canadian (What was his name) won the world ice dancing championship with a series of leaps not matched before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photo of the boy in the wild yard. Looks kinda hopeless as a court.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kinda hoped Federer might go the same way tonight (to aid Murray's path) but he hung in there. Fascinating stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like young Martin pondering how to fix the net!I Do not know anymore who is who in tennis, as I do not follow it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post. I always think it is terrific when an underdog gets a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosol vs Nadal has to be one of the best tennis matches ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny photo and caption. I've pretty much given up trying to follow current sporting happenings, and the Olympics haven't even begun yet, so I appreciate your précis, Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing more boring than a winner winning all the time - gotta mix it up! I heard what Rafa said - I thought is sounded pretty wise, but whether he meant it or not - haha. Love the photo and words Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The yard in the photo looks like it was worth investigating but I'm not sure about using it to play tennis.... To me, Young Martin looks wistful, or perhaps hopeful, about what's on the other side of the fence. (I'm not a follower of tennis, so no response to your words about tennis.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the picture of young Martin (and your caption!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all your comments. I was about four or five years old in this photograph, and completely oblivious to the game of tennis, but the picture seemed to match the theme, this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh great, now I have to check out this shuttlecock some more! I just love that first photo...so cute....a very darling and charming young Martin indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.