Friday, 30 November 2012

Concepts and Consequences

An elderly neighbour told us a story today, about her 5 year-old great grandson. He had just written a letter to Father Christmas, asking him to bring him something nice on 25th December, and his mother noticed that he’d addressed the request to Father Christmas, and God.

Mother: “Why have you addressed your letter to Father Christmas, and God?”

Son: “Well, if Father Christmas can’t get the things on my list, God might have more luck.”

It’s little gems like this that started me out on my blogging adventure. As I had written a newspaper column that recorded my experiences as a father, so I had it mind to blog on the experiences of being a grandfather. But blogs have a tendency to evolve, and mine has done so in a way that’s mirrored a great deal of my own personal development during the past three years. Square Sunshine has become a vehicle for my photography, poetry, comment and opinions, and it now seems a world removed from the original concept. So, I’ve decided to try and get this blog back on course, with a tighter focus on what it means to be a grandfather. But where will I put all the other stuff?

Well, having recently stepped away from my editorial role at Poetry24, (although I’ll continue to observe from a distance, as a Co-founder) I should have more time on my hands, which I intend to use in setting up a new blog that will launch sometime in 2013. More later.

11 comments:

  1. That boy is going to be an excellent business man some day. Or maybe a politician?

    Blogs evolve, as you say. So many of the bloggers I started out with have gone to pastures new, or even just new blogs. Good luck with the new venture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging is a curious activity, and after more than three years, I've concluded that I'm hooked. Square Sunshine will keep plodding on. Haven't got so far as naming the new one yet.

      Delete
  2. Children say the most wonderful things - it is always worth sharing! Good luck with your new blog - mine was supposed to be about writing, but I drifted away from it pretty early on and I have often wondered about starting another :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe having the freedom to drift a little, is one of the things that writers find so attractive about blogging, Teresa. I always enjoy your posts, whether writing related or not.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Martin - that's very nice of you to say :-) I feel better about my drifting now!

      Delete
  3. Love the story! I will be checking in more often now that the focus is on grandparenting. I've enjoyed all the directions you've taken your blog, but grandparenting is both my passion and my job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any future tangents will be accommodated elsewhere in future, Susan. It'll be good to have back, visiting again.

      Delete
  4. adorable story- clever boy to have such a reliable back-up plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Kathe, this boy could go far!

      Delete
  5. I was told by a grandmother the other day that her two-year old grandson calls Father Christmas 'Ho Ho'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe, the twins called him Ho Ho! too?

      Delete