Thursday, 29 November 2012

Somewhere over the rainbow...


Do you have Leveson lethargy? Have you lost your enthusiasm for the endless edicts on energy? Perhaps migration is moving you to madness, or you’re just simply not in the mood for more negative news?


There are a number of effective antidotes, but I highly recommend investing in the mind of a three year-old. This morning, during a short visit, our twin grand-daughters lost themselves in a game of chasing rainbows. We have a clear glass paperweight on our windowsill that projects tiny rainbow patterns around the room, courtesy of the early morning sun. Such inventiveness and pure delight at patches of dancing colours.

Yesterday, Imogen showed me her latest drawing. I learnt that the simple black shape amongst the red-edged clouds, was a bird. “That’s wonderful,” I said, “and what does a bird do?” Without hesitation she flapped her arms all around the kitchen. “Ah, but how do we know it’s a bird? What does it say?” Again, no hesitation, just more circuits of the room, flapping, and calling. “Bird! Bird! Bird!” she said, “like that.”

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Yes indeed. We had the pleasure of a visit from a two-year-old and her four-month-old sister recently (and their mother), and it was a wonderful tonic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing quite so uplifting as being privy to the workings of a toddler's mind, Christine.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. Out of the mouths of babe, and all that.

      Delete
  3. Didn't something like that happen in the film, Pollyanna? It involved two children and a grumpy old man. Oops. Didn't mean you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall the Pollyanna incident and, of course, I know you didn't mean me...although I have my moments.

      Delete
  4. lucky you to have such innocence and grace in your life----thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I count myself extremely lucky, Kathe. It's great to have the opportunity to blog about such things. Glad you like what you see.

      Delete