Friday, 7 December 2012

Tales of Turbos and Automated Tellers

When Prince Charles was asked how he felt about becoming a grandfather, he quipped, "How do you know I'm not a radio station?" Very Goon-like, I thought. And so it was, the rest of my morning continued on the taut edges of surrealism.

I had to fetch my car from the garage, after the turbo failed earlier in the week. The price tag was, shall we say, 'otherworldly'? Prior to driving it home, I stopped at the bank to withdraw some cash. As I stood there at the ATM, wondering if it would actually dispense the few pennies remaining in my account, a voice from behind me stated, "We must be mad, standing here."

I turned to see grinning face, waiting for a response. I couldn't muster one, so the man continued, "Chap was held up here, at gunpoint a couple of days ago." Then I remembered, there had been an item on the local news, although I don't remember any mention of a gun. "He's welcome to my last few pennies," I said, "I've just had a new turbo fitted." The grin disappeared, and the man's gaze narrowed. Perhaps I should have made it clear that it was the car that had received a new turbo. As I walked away, I swear he waiting for me to suddenly accelerate into the distance.


Just before lunch, I was sorting through a few photographs, when I came across one that may well have captured the very moment that winter drained the last drops of colour from autumn, in rather the same way that turbos drain the last copper from your bank balance.

4 comments:

  1. A turbo-charged Martin. I like it. And that photograph is near-perfect. A line from an old Hancock show came to mind : "photograph! I paint with light"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. I will, of course, be using that Hancock line, whenever the opportunity presents itself in the future.

      Delete
  2. Where were the police when this hold up took place? Down at the local fishmongers I'll warrant.
    "Last few coppers wasted on Turbot"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Rog, and we're not talking 'small-fry' here, either!

      Delete