Monday, 4 February 2013

Throwing Shapes Without Dancing


There's something special about handling clay. It's a considerable step up from Play-Doh and the finished article, once air-dried, can be painted, and placed somewhere for all to admire. The incipient pottery in the picture has been shaped by SW, and made with materials from a kit we bought her for Christmas Father Christmas delivered. It's uncertain whether the smaller vessel will hold a little sherry for the big man, when he arrives on the next 25th December, but the dish could easily accommodate a mince pie or two.

Enhanced by Zemanta

12 comments:

  1. these clay creations remind me of the similar gifts I received from boys. Precious gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There sure is and you either like how it feels in your hands or you don't! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeezing clay between your fingers is a bit like splashing in puddles, Karen S. It's a good idea to be dressed for the occasion.

      Delete
  3. Sherry! Sherry! Never touch the stuff. Tell SW to fill it with a fine single malt for me (her granddad probably has a bottle around somewhere)and I will come calling next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drink spirits these days, Alan, but I know that SW's dad keeps a tipple about the place. I'll have to investigate.

      Delete
  4. i haven't done any pottery in my life. i like gazing at the finished product though. seems like a tedious job to me, martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odette, I've never 'thrown' a pot either, but I can imagine the sense of achievement that comes from producing something pleasing, out of a lump of clay.

      Delete
  5. Definitely superior to plasticine, which tends to produce grey artefacts - no mater what colours you first started with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Nell. Play-doh smells nicer too!

      Delete
  6. The largest piece in the picture looks like the masterpiece I created when I took a pottery class. I've always loved the idea of "throwing pots," but evidently I don't have the knack. It is indeed harder than it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried using the potter's wheel, Susan, although I've watched potters at work. My guess is that I'd probably end up with more clay on the floor than on the wheel.

      Delete