Friday, 26 April 2013

A Step Too Far

It has to be said, I’m not a born dancer. I mean, I’ve got rhythm and I’ve got music, but I’ve also got a level of inhibition which prevents me from throwing shapes in public places.

Martin's dancing was so energetic, his beard fell off.

For me, terpsichorean self-expression is fine in the boogie belt, somewhere left field of La Cucaracha. But when it comes to cutting the rug in the confines of my home, I get a big ‘thumbs down’ from the grandchildren. SW has long held the view that I should do less boogie and more board games.

The twins haven’t developed their diplomacy to a workable level of sophistication yet. They simply shout at me to stop dancing. When that fails, they resort to an alternating combination of hard stares and screwed up faces. When I finally stop, one of them will mutter with disgust, “I don’t like your dancing,” or “you’re too big to dance.”

I think what they’re actually saying is, “you’re to old to dance.” They, on the other hand, will twirl and leap, skip and jump and inevitably crash land on their bottoms. I suspect I can manage the latter without too much coaching. Whether I could leap to my feet and convince them it was all part of the routine, is debatable.

12 comments:

  1. I am so severely dance challenged that I NEVER danced in front of my children. I can't sing either but when, occasionally, I would make an attempt, the horrified little darlings would beg me to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should duet together sometime, Vicki. We might actually break glass!

      Delete
  2. You just have to wait until everyone's out of the house, honest grandchildren especially, and then just Let Yourself Go. It's worth it. Believe me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, there speaks the voice of experience. Okay, you've sold it to me. The next time I'm home alone, I'll 'get down'...and pray that I can get up afterwards!

      Delete
  3. Out of the mouth of babes .... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Merisi. Those sweet words of wisdom flow thick and fast.

      Delete
  4. well heck! They should get up and dance with you! Have a splendid dancing Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to do my best to soft-shoe-shuffle my way through the rest of the weekend, Kathe W!

      Delete
  5. We need more dancing - from everyone - ignore those impudent littlies ;) and put that beard back on - hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found the beard, Gabrielle. Just working out if I've put it back on, the right way up!

      Delete
  6. Is 'Grandad dancing' an extreme form of 'Dad dancing'? I think you should stick with it, but maybe turn the lights off first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BB, now I have a strong 'visual' to accompany the term, 'Grandad dancing'. Hang on, where's that light switch?

      Delete