Monday, 8 April 2013

Come On Grandad, Make Your Mind Up!

Back in November of last year I resolved to tighten up my focus on grandparenthood at Square Sunshine. The idea being, that I would begin another blog where I could write about the things that happen in my life beyond my role as a Grandfather. Well I tried it, and after three months I’ve abandoned it.

There were a number of factors that caused me to pull down the shutters on the project, but there was one above all others. I found it impossible to pigeon-hole my thoughts and observations.

So, the blog description stands. What you read here – for as long as you continue reading here – will be the thoughts and observations of a Grandfather. They just might not always be related to grandchildren.

The catalyst in all this was an observation by a Grandmother, Belinda Brock. She noticed how thin on the ground blogging Grandfathers are, and posted a piece on her own blog to flag it up. After giving more thought, Belinda and I concluded, that blogging might work better for Grandfathers if they incorporate their grandparenting accounts into a larger picture. Which is what I’ve been doing for the best part of four years…apparently.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, once a grandpa or grandma, always a grandpa or grandma, and it just goes to show we're still people too, going about life, thankfully, day after day! I'm a reader- keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I've just found this comment in with the spam. I'm so sorry it didn't appear sooner. Thanks for taking the trouble, anyway.

      Delete
  2. Apologies to those who have been commenting recently. I've been receiving the email notifications but comments are not making it into the box. No idea why. Hopefully it's a glitch that will be ironed out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have the right idea Martin (though obviouslyl you should be using wordpress - bwhahahahaha) - your blog is a great mix of Martinesque material with a grandfatherly aspect type thingy ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle, I might well use your description in my sidebar!

      I really liked Wordpress, but something had to go.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that's OK then as I clicked on the link and it wasn't there. As you were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as you were, Nell. It was proving to be just one more ball to keep in the air and, in the end, I couldn't see where it was heading, exactly. Still, if you don't try, you'll never know, eh?

      Delete
  5. When I started my blog I promised myself that it would be about Amara and my life as her Grandma and nothing else. OH sometimes it is so hard to stay true to that -- which is what I've chosen to do. I'm very jealous in a way that you have a platform for whatever is on your mind. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma KC, I felt the same way when I started out. But there are many sides to us as grandparents, and I hope my posts reflect that without detracting too much from the title I'm most proud of. I also think that Grandmas may be more inclined to maintain their focus, which goes some way towards explaining why the numbers of Grandma bloggers outweigh those of Grandpas.

      Delete
  6. hi martin, i just tried to comment via my iphone, but that didn't work out too well. anyway, i think what you're doing makes sense; after all, it can be challenging to compartmentalize our lives and you never professed to be writing specifically about grandparenting. as a new blogger, i'm still trying to find my way, let my blog evolve and learn from experienced bloggers like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda, so nice to receive a comment from you. Yes, I think we grandparents can have the best of both worlds. We can write about grandparenting, sure, but we can also demonstrate the breadth of our interests and our range of experience, as people of a certain age.

      I'm sure your blog will evolve into a place where people will want to drop by on a regular basis. I'll certainly be doing so.

      Delete