Saturday, 25 May 2013

Head-scratching and a Possible Snowman

Although some of us won’t readily admit it, unravelling a mystery or solving a puzzle can give us quite a lift. Who doesn’t know that niggling feeling that comes from knowing the solution to be simple, but for dear life we can’t quite grasp it. The glaringly obvious solution to a crossword , but having already made it clear that crosswords aren’t your ‘thing’, revealing the answer isn’t an option, leaving your inner detective well and truly thwarted.

We live in a puzzling world, whether you find yourself preoccupied with the secrets of Dan Brown’s Archimedean spiral, or just trying to fathom out what Russell Brand means in his reference to parliament: “The whole joint is a deeply encoded temple of hegemonic power.”


Yesterday, SW’s little sister, who she occasionally refers to as ‘Thing Two’, presented me with a rather charming, if somewhat cryptic piece of handiwork. Is it a flow chart, designed for use at a snowmen’s conference? Perhaps a series of coded ideas contained in the shape of a light bulb? Whatever the rationale might be, it’s likely to remain an enigma. My guess would be that it’s actually many things and nothing at all. The perfect example of a fertile imagination, one that might well prove useful for solving riddles in later life.

12 comments:

  1. A snowman, yes ... or two goldfish bowls stacked on top of each other? Who knows, but it's obviously as singular in creative perfection as Thing Two.

    (The other day I saw a pair of small twins wearing T-shirts, one proclaiming Thing One and the other, Thing Two. Adorable.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I hadn't seen the two goldfish bowls. I wonder?

      Delete
  2. That is an enigma indeed - I won't even hazard a guess ;) I think you are right about solving puzzles giving us a lift (hadn't even thought about it until I read your opening line - so thanks for that) - there's nothing I like better than crime stories (movies, tv shows, books) and I just love it when all is solved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle, I love a good 'whodunnit', or even a whodunwhat!

      Delete
  3. I bet she knows exactly what or who is! I remember drawing Roy Rodgers in the back of a book, and getting smacked for it ;) it looked exactly like the cowboy to me .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if it looked exactly like a cowboy to you, that's all that matters. What do grown ups know, anyway?

      Delete
  4. Well, I think you're right about the fertile imagination. I'm so relieved it wasn't a post about head lice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three girls have been down that route too, Marilyn. I tried to reassure my daughter by telling her that head lice prefer a clean scalp. It was meant to be helpful...

      Delete
  5. This reminds me of something that happened when my daughter was very young. She covered a piece of lined paper with squiggles along each line, then handed it to me and asked me what it said. I was very used to her explaining her artistic productions to me, so I said, "I'm not sure. What did you mean for it to say?" I got a very indignant response: "How am I supposed to know? You're the one who can read!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the kind of moment when parents should be able to respond with, "Can I phone a friend?"

      Delete
  6. An enigmatic piece of work . . . the young woman should go far in government.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That, my friend, is the model of the NHS when the current deeply encoded temple of hegemonic power have finished with it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.