Monday, 3 June 2013

Stone-faced

When SW returned from a recent family mini-break by the seaside, she couldn't wait to show us what she'd collected from the beach. She carefully sorted and arranged her 'treasure', on her bedroom floor, and pointed out the perfection in each piece.



The prize exhibit wasn't a shell, but a small and unusual stone. Unusual because, as SW pointed out, it has a smiley face on it. She handed it to me so that I could inspect it more closely. I turned it this way and that, and to my surprise, on the obverse side was a face that told a different tale. "This side doesn't look so happy," I said. The reply was instantaneous, "No it doesn't, does it? But I can really only see the smiley face." With that, she turned the stone again. After all, why would anyone want a miserable pebble in their collection?


9 comments:

  1. I love SW's positive outlook on life. She'll go far. And I'd love a pebble like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an inspiration, Lynne. And yes, I rather like the pebble, too.

      Delete
  2. How lovely that she has that optimism. Long may she continue to find smiley faces in her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments, exactly, jennyfreckles.

      Delete
  3. Wow, she has a great attitude :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly does, Gabrielle.

      Delete
  4. A mood pebble! Both it and SW are treasures. What a lovely little story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I like the idea of 'mood pebble'. I'll mention it when I see her next.

      Delete
  5. I'll be on the lookout for a mood pebble of volcanic origin now!

    ReplyDelete