Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Scope and hope, illustrated

Following on from my previous post, I thought you might like to share a little gem. A Facebook 'friend' suggested that the story of Lionel and his Grandad would be ripe for illustrations. Quick as a flash - and I mean, literally a few minutes after I'd replied, with an admission to not having any drawing skills - an old friend and talented cartoonist, Robby Bullen, offered the following.

Grandad raised his hand and pointed at the moon. 
'I remember when a man first set foot on that,' he whispered...

Robby insisted I make it clear that this is very quick and rough sketch. I think it's brilliant and, following a brief and constructive exchange, we've decided on a collaboration. I will pen the stories and Robby will provide the illustrations. It'll be an interesting project, and a relief for me, from trying to bash out a novel for adults. I have to say there's so much more scope and hope in a story for kids. To quote John Betjeman, "Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows."

14 comments:

  1. That's awesome - just love the illustration and a collaboration sounds like the go (cartoonists are some of the best people in the world) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is excellent. A bit jealous, if I'm honest.☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe it, Kat. You're not the type!

      Delete
  3. This is just Pooh-riff-ic! What a wonderful project this has become, and one that you can share with your grandchildren too! John Betjeman's quote is the way to be. I wish you much luck, and am excited to see more. Why your Grandad tales can take this to so many adventures. Picture books in the making perhaps too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm busy exploring the possibilities, Karen.

      Delete
  4. I've tried twice to comment (I love the illustration) and the comment disappears. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Google is getting more unreliable and unpredictable, daily. But thanks for persevering with the comment, Vicki.

      Delete
  5. Thats fabulous, Martin. That is some illustration for a 'quick' one. Keep us posted, look forward to seeing it complete. Writing a novel myself, envy you the illustrated book project..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brigid, great to hear from you. I hope your novel is taking shape.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic news, Martin! After reading your Lionel story, I was thinking that you should definitely do more writing for younger readers. (I won't say 'children' because I love reading children's literature myself.) Do keep us apprised of developments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. And yes, I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  7. I agree with all the preceding comments. Fantastic story, fabulous art. Full speed ahead!

    ReplyDelete