Thursday, 11 September 2014

Another Way

About 8 months ago, Ciara Brehony and I set up a Facebook page called simply, Another Way. Our blurb states, “News and views about the way our children are educated, along with possible alternatives and changes that might benefit learning in the 21st Century.”

I doubt if the education of our children has never been a more closely scrutinised topic than it is today. Home schooling is as popular as ever, free schools and academies springing up all over the place, confusion reigning supreme in an area of vital importance to parents and pupils alike.

Yesterday, our little group swelled by three new members, bringing the total to 60. In light of that milestone, I’d like to share a short video clip that was posted earlier this week. It’s just food for thought. And that’s the key thing about education isn’t it? Keeping an open mind and investigating all routes towards helping our children fulfil their potential.

Another Way is open to anyone, so if you have a Facebook account, and you’re interested, please don’t hesitate to join us.

4 comments:

  1. Martin, it's great to see you back. Hooray for winning the Will Self book, and very interesting thoughts about the huge decision facing us north of the border, and also well done for setting up Another Way. I will come back to watch the video - I'm very interested in this question, especially since both my children will have had very unusual educations! Finally - love your new profile picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. I've just started reading Will's book, and very good it is too. Another Way will hopefully be getting its own blog, shortly. I'll keep you posted. And yes, I love the profile pic. A gift from SW.

      Delete
  2. I watched the video. I don't know if I'd go so far as to let students plan their entire curriculum - I do think there have to be basics, but I'd like a day each week at school - or perhaps two or three afternoons - to be put aside for pursuing interests like this, if it were practicable. That would be a major improvement on what we have in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, a day a week, maybe two or three afternoons, would be a start towards improving what has become an unsatisfactory system. I agree, there has to be 'basics', but for them to take hold, a radical shake-up is needed.

      Delete