Sunday, 24 July 2016

Got any grapes?

Kids do the marvellous things. They bring sunshine into our lives. They melt our hearts. They dismantle our arguments with crystal clear logic. And they are responsible for landing us with EARWORMS!

The theme tunes to children's programmes are just something we take on the chin. Even the songs from Frozen can be excused through gritted teeth with, "Actually, it's a really great tune."

But around the age of six or seven, kids are well on the way to excellence in the art of annoyance. I should know. I went through a lengthy stage of only answering my mum with "Arp." I've know idea where it came from, but the more she protested, the more I kept saying it.

A while back, our granddaughters were constantly filling every gap in conversations with, "What does the fox say?" followed with, well, if you bother to watch the video, you can read the lyrics for yourself.


But yesterday, SW landed us with the Duck Song. Truly an earworm to beat all earworms. I dare you to listen all the way through.

8 comments:

  1. Can't listen. Still recovering from the Disney trip many MANY years ago and taking the child into "It's a Small World" where tiny mannequins sang at us in tiny ,tinny voices the small world song over and over and over and over and over. Irreparably scarred. May go lie down now . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki. You know what I did, don't you? That's right. Went straight to YouTube for a listen to "It's a Small World." I swear there's a mash-up forming with a Duck Song chorus!

      Delete
  2. Oh good lord no - not the duck song?! Cheers. I now can't get it out of my head! When my girl was younger it was those annoying telly tubbies! Eh oh! I wonder where your ARP came from? That's so funny that is. I think I might try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Julie, I can't think where Arp came from. One of those daft things I latched on to, as a boy, I suppose. Drove my mum nuts.

      Delete
  3. Well thanks Martin, at least it’s overridden yesterday’s earworm of that awful schmaltzy version of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow’ which was playing in our local supermarket yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supermarket music really annoys me, whatever it is. I worked in a supermarket (remember Keymarkets?) when I was in my teens. They used to play hits of the day, but invariably they were 'cover' versions. Awful.

      Delete
  4. As soon as I saw the title of your post I knew you were talking about the Duck Song! I know it well - much too well :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I've shot myself in the foot by writing this post. Every time I see the duck, the tune starts playing in my head. Hope it doesn't drive me quackers!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.