Thursday, 25 August 2016

Cobs and Monsters

When I was about seven, I watched an episode of Robin Hood starring Richard Greene, which included a scene where the “baddie,” in black armour, lurked on a great staircase. I couldn’t sleep for nights. In my dreams/nightmares he was always after me. A pursuit that caused me to eventually wake, hot and breathless.

A few days ago, the eldest of our twin granddaughters (by ten minutes) told me she’d had a nightmare. For her, a giant Christmas tree began to move and wobble, generating monsters that began to chase her and her family. In fact the monsters in question were hideous hybrids of her favourite animals. Anyway, the family all crammed into the smallest of their two cars, and made their getaway. This, her sister told me, was the severely abridged version. “Ugh, she told us this at dinner, and it went on forever. We were all, like, *pulls the expression of someone in a catatonic trance* enough, already.” Sympathetic little soul.

Swan, Flying by Imogen

It was a different tale, today. Today number one twin presented me with a hand drawn picture of a swan, flying. I think it’s charming, but then I would, wouldn’t I?

A place for imaginings.

She’s also been taking advantage of this hammock that her dad’s suspended beneath their horse chestnut tree. The perfect place for recording her imaginings.  

12 comments:

  1. we forget ,sometimes ,just how more vivid childhood senses are.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Tony. And I believe that returns somewhat as we get older?

      Delete
  2. For me it was the Daleks from TV, but I once read a story called ‘The Little Boy Who Wanted to Stay Up All Night’ and, of course, he found the normal night time sounds terrifying; the coals falling in the grate, the wind in the chimney. The idea was that he learned his lesson, but the description were very real and stayed with me for a long time. My mother always said it was the illustrations in her Grimms Fairy Tales of the ‘dog with eyes as big as saucers’ whuch haunted her dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nell, I know how that little boy felt. When I wake in the middle of the night, my hearing seems to have become fine-tuned.

      Delete
  3. Lovely picture. My childhood nightmares were generated by the wicked stepmother in Snow White and by the constant warnings to watch out for snakes from my grandmother. (Florida does have a fair number.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wicked stepmother has a lot to answer for, Vicki.

      Delete
  4. Ooh I remember watching Robin Hood. One of my childhood nightmares was of a giant dumpling chasing me across the green (maybe I'd been watching The Prisoner). I think Imogen's swan is absolutely charming and the hammock looks very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think The Prisoner would have been far more interesting if No.6 had been pursued by a giant dumpling.

      Delete
  5. Well of course, and sometimes I still check under the bed for monsters! Childhood at its best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of it never entirely leaves us does it?

      Delete
  6. Imagination, as with most things, has its dark and light sides ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. The balance is never easily achieved.

      Delete