Saturday, 3 September 2016

DO NOT ever grow up (it's a trap)

I'm always left with a heavy heart after reading accounts of how children are unhappy. Recently, this BBC item caught my eye. According to the Children's Society annual report more than one third of 10 - 15 year old girls are unhappy with their appearance. Such a sad state of affairs, that kids should be hung up on this kind of thing at any point in their young lives.

There follows some words of advice, from young women. Things they'd say to their younger selves.

This started me wondering what advice I might give to my younger self. I quickly drew the conclusion that, even now, I'm really not qualified to offer any advice. And when I was a youngster, I rarely, if ever, listened to advice.

All I would say to my grandchildren is, keep drawing those beautiful pictures, keep inventing wonderful stories, don't forget how to be silly. As much as we want children to have our old heads on their young shoulders, with all the best intentions, it ain't gonna happen. But we can support them, love them, and try to help them build confidence in what they do. We can also reassure them that failure is not to be feared. Mistakes and setbacks are important in teaching us what works and what doesn't.

Keep bouncing back

Keep drawing. (Chewbacca by Iris)

DO NOT ever grow up (it's a trap)

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You know how it is, Tony. You reach a certain age...

      Delete
  2. They (and you and Mags and their parents) seem to be doing a fine job of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such lovely kids, Vicki (I would say that, wouldn't I?). We've really missed them.

      Delete
  3. wise words and yes, they won't listen to us anyway ;) The good news is that, even though they might not be happy with their appearance, this doesn't always mean they are unhappy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Gabrielle. Probably not too much harm in being a little self-critical. It's when appearance becomes an obsession, and a stick for others to beat you with. Things should never reach that stage, should they?

      Delete
    2. never - there is way to much pressure on girls, and even boys, to look a certain way - hard to avoid all the adverts and movies, and music videos which promote a very select way of looking - very disheartening

      Delete
  4. Completely agree with you, Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a growing number of us are on the same page, Teresa.

      Delete